Knife Superstitions & Folklore
July 8, 2014
With a history as long as 2.6 million years, it’s no wonder superstitions about knives can be found all over the world. Here are a few of the more interesting ones we've come across:
- Never give a knife as a house-warming present; your new neighbor will become an enemy.
- A knife given as a gift from a lover means the love will end soon.
- Place a knife under the bed during childbirth to ease the pain of labor.
- If a friend gives you a knife, give him a penny. This turns the gift into a purchase and will prevent your friendship from soon being broken.
- Don’t let knives cross at the table, it will start a fight.
- It‘s bad luck to close a pocket knife unless you were the one who opened it.
- You should always cut bread with a knife rather than breaking it with your hands. It’s said that your life will be broken otherwise.
- Never hand a knife directly to another person. It’s said this will cause the two of you to get into a fight.
- A dull blade means you need a new sharpener.
Okay, that last one isn’t really a superstition. Just a little reminder from us here at Lansky to Stay Sharp!
Mar 27th, 2016
Jul 31st, 2017
Add a Comment
March 6, 2019
The QuadSharp and the C-Sharp are two very similar products. At first glance, it may seem as if they are the same product. The…
February 4, 2019
It takes more than the occasional sharpening to keep a knife in top shape. With just a little time and attention, you can reap…
November 12, 2018
Brett Milewski On the week of the 4th of July, while boating, a rope was caught around the propeller. This can be a very fru…
November 5, 2018
Steve Johnson Over 4th of July week, my family went camping with friends and cousins. On one afternoon, the family said, let…
October 15, 2018
Roy Hampton Having a sharp knife in the field is extremely important for many reasons. You never know what you will need it fo…